Friday 26 April 2013

Afternoon tea - Mulberry House

As the whole world knows I love afternoon tea so it's not a surprise I was kindly gifted a voucher for afternoon tea for Christmas by a friend. As I have no afternoon teas booked for the foreseeable future I thought I would share my last experience.

The tea was for two at Mulberry House in Ongar, Essex and I went with my aunty and little cousin (who is quite accustomed to afternoon tea for a 2 year old.) After a little bit of confusion trying to find the venue once stepping out of the car the grounds were simply beautiful!

We were asked to wait in the waiting room while our table was prepared for us. After a short wait we were shown through to the conservatory which was empty expect an elderly couple but the room was beautiful and you could really appreciate the surrounding grounds from here.

We were seated and chose our tea from the tea menu which wasn't extensive but had all the favourites on there. I went for Earl Grey as I am not very adventurous and my aunty chose an English breakfast I believe.

We were first given a selection of finger sandwiches, they were simple sandwiches with the crusts taken off and we had one of each of egg, ham and cream cheese. They were presented on a normal plate and were nice enough.

We were then presented with a silver three tier cake stand. The top tier was small pots of jam, the second tier was warm scones (one each) and the bottom was a selection of miniature cakes. We were also given a dish with a generous amount of fresh clotted cream and fresh chopped strawberries.

The cakes were yummy as are all carrot cakes and eclairs but I have a penchant for eating warm scones and drinking tea on a cloudy afternoon. So much so we decided to order extra scones (oops).

Overall it was a pleasant afternoon and we were there for hours and thoroughly enjoyed ourself. The setting was just lovely and the afternoon tea menu was just as you would expect. It cannot be compared to some 'luxury' London experiences but if you have a spare afternoon sometime between lunch and dinner why don't you find am afternoon tea venue near you.

Please follow me on Instagram: CURIOSITEA23 or email me any questions or requests at curiositea23@gmail.com :)

2 comments:

  1. The venue looks tranquil and beautiful, as do you and your cousin! I haven't been to Mulberry House yet so I might go along if I get a chance. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your comments! Please let me know if you visit and what you think of it and keep checking back to compare future reviews :) x

    ReplyDelete